Friday, May 6, 2011

Lalo's Famous Cookies

Happy Friday!!!!

I tried this recipe from Gwyneth Paltrow's (aka GP...well that's what Mario Batali calls her) new cookbook. 

I bought my raw whole almonds at Whole Foods.  I was so surprised that they were only 3.49 a pound!  GP also suggests to pulse the nuts for 2 seconds ten times.  Next time, I think I will pulverize them a bit more.

Canola oil and maple syrup.  The recipe calls for 1 cup of oil & maple syrup each.  I only made half the recipe that's why I only have 1/2 a cup each in the picture.

The dough was crumbly a little hard to work with because it kept falling apart when shaping the cookies.

I used my Tablespoon (measuring) spoon to shape them and then used the backside of the 1/4 spoon to make the indentations.

Final product!

Lalo's Famous Cookies
From My Father's Daughter, by Gwyneth Paltrow
Ingredients:

4 cups barley flour (can be found at Whole Foods.  They did not have it at my local Sprouts store)
3 cups raw whole almonds crushed in a food processor (about ten 2-second pulses...like I mentioned above, I think I will pulse them more next time)
1 teaspoon fine salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup canola oil
1 cup real Vermont maple syrup
Your favorite jam (I used strawberry) 

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all ingredients except for jam together in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Form into tablespoonful balls and space them evenly on cookie sheets. Using your index finger, make an indent in each cookie. Fill each indent with a small spoonful of jam. Bake until cookies are evenly browned, about 15-20 minutes. Cool before eating. 

 Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there!  Hope you guys have wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. You didn't say if you liked the cookies. Did you? Nice, clear instructions, by the way.

    ReplyDelete