Thursday, May 3, 2012

Buttermilk muffins

I was craving buttermilk muffins from Mimi's this past week except I didn't have any muffin liners on hand and I kept forgetting to grab some while I was at the store. But I caved and made them in my mini muffin tin. I was on the phone while they were in the oven and I forgot about them and they came out dry.  So sit by the oven because they only take about 8 minutes.


little lovelies ready for the oven


Mimi's Buttermilk Muffins 

1 cup Sugar
½ cup Butter
3 Eggs
2-½ cups Flour
2 tsp. Baking soda
1 tsp. Nutmeg
½ tsp. Cinnamon
¾ cup + 1 tbsp. Buttermilk

Topping:
½ cup Sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans)
½ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg

Preheat oven to 375°.  

Make the nut topping: Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. 

In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and the butter together with an electric mixer. Add the eggs and mix for another minute or so.

In a bowl, sift the flour into a separate bowl, together with the baking soda, nutmeg and the cinnamon.

Add the flour and the buttermilk to the first mixture, mix at low speed until smooth. Add the wet and dry ingredients alternately.

Line muffin tins with paper baking cups. Fill each cup 3/4 full of batter. Add a full, rounded tablespoon of nut topping on top of each muffin cup of batter. Bake immediately or the topping will sink to the bottom of the muffin.

Bake at 375° for about 20-25 minutes for regular sized muffins and about 8 minutes for mini muffins, until light brown.


1 comment:

  1. Hey JH! It's been a while since I've seen your blog (I cleaned out all my old emails and lost your info), and it's making me hungry, as always! Those muffins look amazing. I realize I don't like muffins unless they are fresh out of the oven, like the above picture. Blessings and thanks for the delicious looking posts.

    ReplyDelete