Wednesday, January 26, 2011

More of Korea

After I went to the morning market with my dad we ate lunch (sorry no pictures, but I had Korean cold noodles). My mom wanted to take me to this bakery/patisserie.


We went to Myung Dong.  We also stopped by Shinsaegae dept. store, but they wouldn't let me take any pictures :(

Outside street vendor.


Passion 5


Lovely macaroons...right after I took this they told me no more pictures.  Thank goodness my sister had already taken a ton!

Selection of what we ate.  Vanilla bean gelato and yuzu gelato.  Cheesecake, mushroom on focaccia bread, and UFO bread (yes that is what it was called).   My favorite was the cheesecake.  Korean cheesecake is different then in the states.  It's not as dense and there is no graham cracker crust rather a nice thin layer of sponge cake.  Also the yuzu gelato.  I love yuzu...sweet yet tangy.


In honor of my Motherland and because I miss Korea....
Recipe for mandoo aka Korean dumplings. 


List #1
1 pound of ground beef
1 block of extra firm tofu (squeeze as much water as you can out of the tofu)
1/2 medium onion minced
2 medium sized zucchini julienned
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 bunch of Korean chives (buchu) or you can use green onions

List # 2
2 Tablespoons of soy sauce
1 Tablespoon of sesame seed oil
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
pepper

List #3
1 package of wonton wrappers
water in a small bowl to seal the wrappers

Put all the ingredients in list #1 a bowl.  Mix well.  Then add the ingredients from list #2 mix well.  Then place a Tablespoon (possibly more depending on what brand of wonton you buy) of the filling in the middle of the wonton wrapper.  Using your fingers wet and seal the edge of the wrapper, fold and press to seal the wonton wrapper.

These freeze well.  I sprinkled flour on a sheet pan (see above picture) and froze them.  Once they were frozen I threw them into a ziplock bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment