Wednesday, February 2, 2011

taking a break from Korea

Last week I had a craving.  Usually, I forget about it but this one was nagging me.  So I caved and drove to Marie Callenders, bought a peach pie and enjoyed every bite.  Did I mention that I ate it for breakfast the following morning.



Feeling guilty about my pie, I started to make some whole wheat banana chocolate chip muffins and was even planning to leave the chocolate out.  I know talk about serious guilt!  I threw the dry ingredients into a bowl and melted the butter in the microwave.  I opened the fridge for the bananas.  Yikes, it stunk like it was on its way to being banana liquor or something.  I started to think about what else I could make with the measured out ingredients and then I remembered a whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe I've been wanting to try.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Kim Boyce

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 ½ tsp. kosher salt
2 sticks (8 oz.) unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch cubes (see note above)
1 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped into ¼- and ½-inch pieces, or bittersweet chips

This was the recipe, but remember I had already measured out some dry ingredients from the other recipe and only had one stick of melted butter.  I decided to half the recipe.

1 1/2 cups of white whole wheat flour (I get mine at Trader Joe's)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp of salt
1 rounded tsp of baking powder
1 stick of butter (mine was melted)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
3 ounces of dark chocolate chopped finely

1.  Sift the dry ingredients together.
2.  In a bowl mix the butter with the sugars.  Add the egg and vanilla and mix well.  Then add the dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon.  Then the chocolate.

The texture was not creamy probably because my butter was melted.  So I threw it in the fridge for an hour.  I baked these at 350 for about 8-10 minutes.  They were surprisingly good.  Crunchy on the outside and slightly chewy in the middle.  I baked the second batch longer because I like them crunchy.  Anna liked them and so did her therapist.  They actually reminded me of a version of  Digestive biscuits or McVities Digestives.  If you like those you will definitely  like this recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment