Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Orange Cake

I'm continuing on with my citrus theme.  Today it's orange cake.  This recipe is a keeper.

I used one cara cara orange and one blood orange

final product

Orange Cake
recipe found on Epicurious

1 stick of butter at room temperature
3/4 cup of sugar
2 eggs
4 teaspoons of orange zest
1/4 cup of orange juice

1/2 cup of sour cream
1 1/2 cups of flour
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt

Preheat the oven to 350 and grease an 8 inch cake pan.

1.  Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.  Set aside.
2.  Zest the orange and add to the sugar.  Mix so that the zest can be infused into the sugar.  Then add the butter and cream until light and fluffy.

3.  Add the eggs one at a time.  Mix.  Then add the orange juice and mix.
4.  Add half of the flour and mix well.  Then add all the sour cream and mix.  Add the rest of the flour mixture. 

 *I am already thinking about how to change up this recipe.  I think fresh cranberries would make a great addition.  I love orange/cranberry combo.

4 comments:

  1. That looks and sounds DELISH! I really love your blog, Susan. I've been following it as of late...:) You really are quite the baker!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, I love orange flavors in a cake. Delicious idea. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/03/sweets-for-saturday-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lisa,
    Thanks for stopping by my site. I saw your comment too late. Would love to join in another time!

    ReplyDelete