Friday, April 1, 2011

Blueberry Mochi

Happy April Fools Day!  Though I am not much of a trickster, my college room mate loves April 1st.  I remember one year, her mom called her dad and told him that the roof of the house was on fire.  He rushed home from work to find her mom rolling on the floor laughing! Or last year when my younger sister's friend was visiting from NYC.  She told us she was pregnant and didn't know who the father was, I caught onto the trick.  But my older sister, her husband and mine totally fell for it.  It was hilarious!  


I buy this brand because it's the brand I grew up with. 

Ready for the oven

Finished product

Blueberry Mochi
Recipe adapted from Hawaii's Best Mochi Recipes by Jean Watanabe Hee

1 pound mochiko (1 box)
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk (12 oz can)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
12 oz frozen blueberries (or 1 can blueberry pie filling)

Preheat the oven 350 and grease a 9x13 pyrex pan.

In a microwave safe bowl or cup melt the butter.  I usually microwave it in 30 seconds increments so that the butter is not too hot.  In a bowl, combine the sugar and melted butter. Mix well.  Add the evaporated milk and vanilla.  Mix well. Add eggs one at a time and mix well.  Add the mochiko and the baking powder.  Once the batter is ready (it does not have to completely smooth)  pour half of the batter into the pyrex pan.  Sprinkle the blueberries on top.  Then add the rest of the batter to the pan and sprinkle the rest of the blueberries on top of the batter.  (You can also mix in the blueberries, but it will give your mochi batter a bluish tint).  Bake for about 50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment